General Manager, or GM, is responsible for running day-to-day operations at a business and guiding general business strategy. Their duties include overseeing hiring and scheduling staff, tracking cash flow, and setting sales goals for their team.
Good General Managers have excellent people skills to manage their staff. They understand a company’s overall vision and set realistic expectations for their team. General Managers must be strong communicators who can address issues with employees or customers and motivate their team by acknowledging their strengths. They empower their team to be successful by delegating tasks and giving them opportunities to grow and try new ideas. Successful General Managers are flexible and use creative problem solving to respond and adapt to challenges such as missed sales goals or unsatisfied customers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing key performance goals and managing the performance of staff
- Creating and implementing strategies for business growth
- Hiring a new team within a department or business unit
- Ensuring that departments or units deliver quality offerings to clients
- Working closely with account managers and other senior staff to retain clients
- Developing new solutions to meet client needs
- Improving internal processes for better productivity
- Overseeing large projects and interpreting performance reports
- Managing the budget and monitoring the financial health of a location or business unit